For those of you new to this game we’ve been playing periodically on The Inspired Room, WELCOME! From time to time I publish “OBSERVATION” posts. By observing a room, we are able to stretch our creativity, our ability to understand design, refine our tastes, and to help all of us start to see things from a new perspective. After we make our observations, we share them in the comments. Then we can all learn from each other.
Come on, trust me. It’s fun! I love this game.
Mostly this is a positive feedback kind of exercise, we are looking for things we notice about the room. There is no right or wrong or expected comment. We aren’t really here to say what we don’t like (someone loves this room!), this is more about discovering interesting things we notice and sharing them with everyone else.
Here are some ideas to jump start the conversation, but feel free to share on anything about the room:
- How would you describe this style?
- What is the mood of the room?
- Describe the personality of people who might live in a room like this?
- What are the main things you notice when you first look at this photo?
- What are some subtle features that you notice when you look more closely?
- Notice things like the shapes, the textures, the colors, the proportions, patterns, etc.
- What is something you can learn from this style or how the room is put together?
- What role does the architecture play in this room?
- If someone wanted to create a room like this, what are some of the significant things they should incorporate?
Enjoy observing, and don’t forget to share with us what you noticed. Many of you have commented how much you are learning by both sharing AND reading what others share. I agree this is a great way to learn about design!
Have fun observing!
Photo: Southern Accents