Decorating by number {or letter}

by | Jun 1, 2010 | Decorating Inspiration, Details | 36 comments

One of the things I enjoy about having my own little shop online is it is a place I can share little fun things I like!  I was delighted to receive a package this weekend containing number and letter vinyls! I immediately ran around the house finding fun ways to use them.

For being so inexpensive, they really make a BIG statement no matter where you put them! I’m in love. They are so easy to apply! And when you are no longer diggin’ them, just pull ’em off. Easy peasy.

Don’t laugh, but I’ve always been obsessed with the idea of creating my upstairs hallway and bedrooms to feel like a bed and breakfast hotel. Ever since I was a little girl I adored the idea of a B&B inspired home. I picture opening the guest room doors to find a big cozy bed, pillows piled high, a bathroom with fluffy towels, delicious smelling soaps, and a stack of mystery novels by the bathtub.

So to take the step towards that dream, I now have four numbered guest rooms (ok, well, they are all occupied by family right now, but who cares? It if fun to pretend our rooms are our own private retreats.)

I love the idea of vacationing right at our own home. And yes, I am a little crazy like that. But they really do look fun, I think! I have the world’s most boring standard builder doors so at least I can fancy them with a vinyl decal, right?

Lately I’ve been trying to think of ways to make this old dresser a little more funky and thought to myself, why not stick a number on it? So I did. And if it wasn’t crooked I’d rather like it. Note to self, don’t stick until you check to make sure it is straight. {edited later to add: I was able to pull it off and reposition it!)

If my stairs were not still covered with carpet, I would totally do something fun like this (seen at Apartment Therapy).

If you want to do your own number project, you can buy the numbers in sets of four from my shop {thank you in advance!}. Numbers 0,1,2,3 Numbers 4,5,6,7 Numbers 8,9,1,0

So many places you could use a number or letter decal. A boring lamp? A chunky candle stick? An end table?  Drawers? Oh, the options are endless!

So many fun things you could make with them! Have fun! And please, if you get them, show me how you use them!

They look great on your doors! And I think they’re great on the back of chairs (which, by the way, I love your chairs). I still can’t jump up and down over numbered stairs.

Very cute! I have a couple of things I’d like to try a monogram letter on {inspired by blogland, of course}.
    .-= Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions´s last blog ..Updating A Picture =-.

I won’t laugh, I promise. Actually I am glad these are on sale. I might be able to replace the paper numbers on my doors and replace them with the actual numbers like I had envisioned.
    cheers
    .-= laurie´s last blog ..A simple fix-ditch the brass =-.

I don’t your b&b dream is silly at all! In fact, I think it’s a lovely way to decorate your house. I really like those numbers and letters. I took a peek at your shop and it’s beautiful. I am in love with almost everything in it! Have a wonderful day : )
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Creole Seafood Bake =-.

I didn’t realize you sold these numbers, I am completely sorting that fact away…and will be looking for a place to use them!!
    .-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Can The Room Be Nearly Done?! =-.

I know what you mean about numbers and letters. Maybe there is a support group???
    .-= Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Numbering My Milk Cans =-.

LOL. I think numbers and letters are fun because they are trendy but still feel classic at the same time. And I love when you can have fun with something like this and when you decide you are over it, you can easily undo it. :-) Meanwhile, I am joining the support group so I won’t add any more. :-)

This was such an adorable idea. I recently discovered your blog (over the weekend) and have been pouring over back entries. You’re so creative and clever with your projects and the way you convey the sentiments along with them.

The numbered stairs had me envisioning my youngest counting out loud in his newly minted three year-old tenor as he jumps up each step. It’s almost enough to have me ripping up the carpet and trying this out before my husband gets back from a trip. Almost. Unfortunately, my oldest would probably try and play hopscotch with her younger brothers and, well, that could be disastrous to say the least.

Thanks for the cute inspiration this morning. A wonderful way to begin my day!

Oh how fun!!!!! I am going to use letters to label my kids rooms….LOL was considering labeling our master as the “Love Nest” being newlyweds and all but our bedroom is right off of the living room…LOL silly huh?
    .-= Mary Joy @ Snapshots from my Heart & Home´s last blog ..Its Time To Say Thank You =-.

Love it. I’m interested in the vinyl letters/numbers. When I order, do I specify upper or lower case, or are they all upper case?

Those are so nice and I just found a project that I want to try that would require numbers. This looks like the easiest way to go! The idea of having a staycation sounds perfectly delightful to me.
    .-= Vee´s last blog ..Memorial Day Gathering =-.

I have to show your post to my family! For years they have laughed at me for numbering the bedrooms over 15 years ago. I used brass numbers, but they look very elegant. BTW, Meg Ryan (actress) did the same thing in her beach house as seen in this month’s issue of Elle Decor. I showed my family the magazine and they admitted I was way ahead of the trend! They also laughed at the letter stamped ceramic golf-sized balls (Pier One) that I put on my coffee table (they asked if I was going to practice my swing in the living room?) and I’ve seen them displayed in two separate home magazines. I made them eat their words!

Numbers on stairs, that’s great!

I absolutely LOVE this idea. Our last name starts with M and I have been slowly collecting various Ms and placing them around the house. Vinyl ones would be the perfect addition. :)
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Barefoot week at I Heart Faces! =-.

I love your numbers! I LOVE the idea of having a bed & breakfast feel with numbers or even the letters on the plate. I’m working on a few projects that I actually need these for. I’m going to check out your shop now! :)

Warmly,
    Karla

I LOVE the letters on the stairs. What a clever idea… especially with young kids learning to count :) If only I had stairs!

I always wanted a bed and breakfast too! I’d be worried though my Husband would forget we had one and come downstairs and wonder who is in his living room.

Love what you did with all your stickies. Especially that M plate!
    .-= Nikki´s last blog ..Knocked up in San Diego =-.

I am thinking very hard as to where to put these little gems! Love the green chair.
    .-= Annelise Wilcox´s last blog ..Nine, Nine, Have a Glass of Wine! =-.

I decorate with them too, I have my laundry room cabinets numbered/onenuttygirl.com/754/decorating-with-vinyl-numbers/. I may have to get some more!!!
    .-= Mary Jean´s last blog ..Sweet Boy ~ Sweet Shot =-.

I really love those flippin’ numbers! AND I love the numbered doors/B&B idea, lol ;-)
    .-= Julie @ Organizement´s last blog ..Shopping For Clutter =-.

oh how I Adore the idea of having a “bed and breakfast-ish” home. I don’t think it’s silly. I think its genious!
    .-= Amy aka Momma´s last blog ..shreeak! =-.

I think they look really cute on the doors. We have storage in the basement and there are two different doors on two sides of the room. That would be great to number those because my husband and I say storage 1 or storage 2 when I need something from down there:)
    .-= Melanie´s last blog ..Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes =-.

Just talked to my kids about this idea for their rooms and they are excited and getting creative with a similar idea of their own…thanks for giving me a great inspiring project for them to do on the rainy days that are heading our way this week!!!

And Melissa…I am hosting my FIRST Linky party today. Its on creative fun things to do with your family that are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP…with your encouragement to keep growing and be myself I never would have had the guts to do it!!! Thanks again!!!
    .-= Mary Joy @ Snapshots from my Heart & Home´s last blog ..Low Cost Summer Family Fun Party–Children & Playgrounds~a match made in heaven =-.

I love that you used the word ‘diggin’ :)
    .-= April´s last blog ..These hands… =-.

Wow I love the 3rd picture with the lettered plate hanging next to the black picture frames and that shell! I never would have thought to decorate like that but it looks really good. Great post!

I’d love to have a set of stairs like that…I think I’d sit and stare at them all day!
    Thank you for all the wonderful inspiration you give your readers!

hi melissa! ohhhh- i just LOVE your blog…

hey – i have some questions for you about the brazilian cherry and soapstone you used in your “old” kitchen –
    *did you like it?
    *ease of care?
    *where did you put the soap stone? the wood was obvious from the photos but i wasn’t sure about the ss?

i’m thinking about both for our kitchen remodel – would love your thoughts on those
    :) thank you!!!

So much fun . . . numbers and letters. Takes me back to my days as a first grade teacher. Loved the white plate and the black lettered ‘M’.
    .-= Glenda Childers´s last blog ..Remembering Hallie (part four) =-.

Was just reading this older post and have to agree, always wanted our upstairs to look like a B and B! I saw some interior pictures once of a small inn on Cape Cod, and the bedrooms were so beautiful and yet they looked like real rooms that belonged to real people who had decorated and lived in them. I wanted to go right into my favorite and crawl into “my” bed!