Go ahead. Paint outside the lines.

by | May 17, 2011 | Decorating Inspiration | 21 comments

Make people wonder about you. It makes life more fun.

I knew I liked Homes & Gardens magazine. They appreciate and celebrate the creative style of people who paint like I do.

“Yeah, I meant to do that!”

That is what I tell people who visit my house and ask why my paint doesn’t reach the ceiling. It is called artistic freedom and expression.

Who made the rule that you have to paint a straight line at the ceiling?
People who like to complicate life and slow down our creative energy, that is who.

Photo: Homes & Gardens via House to Home

I’m with you…color outside of the lines! Love the color of the wall and everything about this room..looks happy!

It does look happy. And one of the reasons is you can sense they are just doing their own thing!

Very bright and happy, but there’s no way I could leave it like that. Yes, a little ocd. :)

Lol…I like it…but it would drive me a little crazy! Fun room and you can tell the person who lives there is too!

I know, I keep wondering if it would bother me because it is “expected” that you would have a straight line there or if it is wrong to NOT have one.

I actually think I’m liking it better without the straight line, because there is no molding so it makes it more creative that way!

If there was molding, I think I’d want a straight line. But without it, I would probably rather they paint the ceiling blue too!

Ah. Rules. I do like freedom from rules with creativity!

Of course, I hate painting ceilings ;-) but I love the look of them.

That’s a surprise. It must surely be a conversation starter. I don’t mind it. As long as you and your family like and are comfortable with it, it should be ok.

I love the color and the room, but it would drive me crazy! I don’t even like to leave a crooked line behind the crown molding. I can’t see it, but I know it’s there.

I agree with you Sallie!

Ha, I have a certain amount of that perfectionism in me, but if I can hide something, I can live with it. Makes life much more fun for me when I can forget it and move on rather than obsessing over stuff that no one else can see!

You know, I really like that! It definitely works with the bright colour and white ceilings.

I love it! I love everything about that room. So cheery!

I’m with the others – I think it would drive me crazy after a while – or feel ‘unfinished’. Simply because there is some maybe unwritten rule that says there must be a straight line between wall and ceiling. The previous owners of our house have done a poor job in that area – but I believe it was unintentional and it’s been bothering me for years now. Time to paint! What a fun colour in that pic tho – wish I had the courage to go with something like that.

Oh I agree totally, a NOT straight line where there should be a STRAIGHT line is annoying. I get bothered by messy paint jobs. But a creative interpretation not intended to be perfect, I could live with that. And yes, the color is fabulous!

I just painted the insides of my open cabinets this color. Yum!

I am so loving this room. I love when people are brave enough to be true to themselves. The designer obviously knew the rules of good design but also when and where to beak them.

Freedom and expression are the lifelines of every artists. If you’re a newbie, honing your creative juices can be achieved through these.

As long as you’re happy with your painting, you don’t have to appease others. This is what personal gratification is.

It’s a look. I could probably get used to it…perhaps. In my world the blue would wipe out the white. There’s nothing that I like much less than a white ceiling. One thing’s certain, if we always do things in the same old ways, life would get pretty dull.

It wouldn’t fit the style of the rest of my house, so I’d never purposely do this… though it looks nice here. It’s funny though that while removing (most of) the wallpaper border the previous owners installed in our kitchen, I’ve discovered the paint job underneath looks exactly like this! In my case though I’m sure it was out of laziness on their part.

It’s one surefire way not to slop wall paint onto the ceiling :)