Style Refinements (+ dining room updates)

by | May 24, 2017 | Decorating Inspiration, My Dining Room, My Seattle House | 21 comments

Do you ever feel like you are in a creative lull with your home? It happens to most of us at some point. Actually, I’m just coming out of one of those lulls. I think it’s common to experience one after a remodel or completion of a series of big home projects.

It actually makes sense to me why some of us feel like we get in a lull, or even a creative “rut” or a period of restlessness at some point after a big project season is complete.

For months you were problem solving and envisioning new ideas. Then you were implementing your vision and watching it come to life! That’s an exhilarating (but sometimes exhausting) experience.

Once those projects are done … you’re no longer doing any those activities.

The change of pace and activities can be a welcome relief at first. But if your whole house isn’t “done” yet, and you aren’t planning to start another big project on its heels, you might start to get a little restless for what’s next.

A period of rest after a big project can rejuvenate the mind, which is helpful to make way for a new vision or creative project to begin. That season can also offer the opportunity to sense gratitude for what you have as well as time to find contentment with what you’ve already accomplished.

I find that not trying to rush through a lull to get onto another big project can also give me time to focus on other priorities, bringing more balance to other important parts of my life.

By taking a period of time to rest and enjoy what I have already worked on or finished, I actually find myself starting to get inspired again, often by those newly completed spaces! That’s what happened recently for me.

We don’t have any plans to start another remodel any time soon and haven’t built up the budget for any of the other bigger projects on my “wish list.”

But since I still want to make more progress on our home this year, fresh inspiration needed to strike!

The “lull” after the kitchen project gave me time to think and ponder my next steps in our house. I decided that I wanted to focus on small style updates the rest of this year. By using what I’ve already completed as a spring board, I can start refining other spaces accordingly and as the budget allows.

Inspired by the mood of my newly remodeled kitchen, I was recently able to make a few simple changes to our adjoining dining room using mostly things I already had!

It’s so helpful to have a completed project, our kitchen, as a style setter for decision making in the rest of the house!

A curtain swap with another room, moving around furniture, hanging some plates, and adding a pair of new lamps to the dining room helped refine our style a little more (at least for the time being.)

Now I’m inspired to keep going in other rooms of the house! Baby steps, but at least we’re headed somewhere.

In part two of this post, I’ll share five ways I jump start creativity to further refine my style. Plus I’ll share more about the simple changes we made in the dining room and the impact on other rooms in our home!

Dining room sources:

Scroll the arrows below to shop:

Sources and details:

Blue honeycomb pillows

Rattan chairs: sold out from World Market (similar: 1 // 2)

Wingback dining chairs: sold out from World Market (similar)

Ombre beaded chandelier (or similar chandelier)

Woven window shades

Curtains

Rattan etagere/bookshelf – thrifted! Similar: 1// 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8

Gray and white striped pillows

Watercolor floral pillow

Peacock art print

Crane art print

Blue and white dishes

Round white rattan mirror

Gray ceramic table lamps and linen lampshades

Woven planter – Ikea

Copper planter

Polish pottery

Striped banquette bench

Sisal rug

It Is Well With My Soul artwork (above fireplace)

Wall color: Simply White Benjamin Moore

Shiplap Wall Details

Love that idea of taking a breather in the midst of big projects and giving ourselves the gift of simply enjoying what’s been accomplished.
    ;-}

It’s so easy to want to rush on to the next thing but it’s worth slowing down to savor what you already have, isn’t it? Have a great day, Linda!

What a beautiful blend! Love the subtle changes! Thanks for showing what can be done to an already lovely room.

Thank you! It’s fun to be back to what I love most, big projects are exciting but little changes are my favorite. <3

Love, love, love your cozy dining room! And I love using what I already have in different ways or in different places – so much fun and so much less $! You’re a constant inspiration to me to keep refining and modifying my space to reflect our lifestyle and personalities. Thanks!

Lovely changes! May I ask where you got the wicker (?) floor planter? I don’t see it listed under sources. Thanks!

I am SO PLEASED you switched to a more neutral curtain. I usually prefer color, but every time I saw those navy bird curtains, they felt not quite right to me. Love the changes you have made!

Thanks! I love color, too, and still love the navy curtains, so I found a new spot for them. Doing a little design shuffle now and then is a part of the refinement process! It’s fun to try new things.

I need to stop taking a break and get to work and get something done at my house. But you deserve a breather, so enjoy! Btw: I think it’s really nice that you provide links to similar products, because that’s a lot of work! I love your Chippendale Rattan bookshelf!

THAT IS why I luv pillows…I change those out in various rooms ALL the time!! A plant here, a plant there…just covered some book jackets with a marbleized paper to use as “uppers”…change is just good for the soul!! franki

I had the same idea for my dinning table. But instead of the wood I was thinking black
    Chalkboard paint. Did you paint your dining table?

I also really like the new curtains in your dining room. The softer color and texture just feels right. I do like the navy curtains but I think they will look good in a room with other navy accents.

This room is so cosy and elegant, beautiful furniture. I love your armchair with wonderful colours.

Very very nice! You’ve inspired me! I’ve been resting after a total renovation of an older house we bought a year ago, but now it’s time to enjoy it and focus on the fun of adding in the decorating details that will make it a cozy cottage. As always, I love your decor and visit your blog for decorating ideas often. :)

Hi Melissa,
    I love your dining room and the rest of your home! So welcoming! Just wondered if the bench in front of the window is upholstered in tan stripes on the back and navy blue on the seat or is my eyes playing tricks on me? It looks lovely!
    Denise

Your dining room looks absolutely wonderful! I love all the simple touches you’ve added to bring your amazing style to the space – you truly inspire me!

Thank you, Debbie. So thoughtful of you to take the time to write! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!