Small Yard Solution:
Trellis Mounted Herb Garden

Small Yard Solution: <br>Trellis Mounted Herb Garden

I saw this image of a trellis mounted herb garden on House to Home {Homes & Gardens June 2010} and thought it was pretty clever! We have a very small deck off of our kitchen and I was just wondering how I could fit more plants on it. We need privacy too, so trellises with pots hanging on them might be an interesting solution! The containers seem a little small, but it might work OK?

Gardeners, what do you think?
Small Yard Solution: <br>Trellis Mounted Herb Garden

Comments

1. Kristen says:

I think that is a brilliant idea!
    Kristen recently posted..Ugly Food Recipe- Garlic Chicken Legs for the Crockpot – Slow CookerMy Profile

2. That is so cute! I’m saving that to my inspiration folder right now!
    Diane recently posted..I Won! I Won!My Profile

3. I think it’s a great idea for herbs. You will probably have to be extra vigilant about giving them enough water in the smaller containers. Although a lot of herbs like very dry soil, things like basil need more water.

I like the look for a small space.
    Lorrie recently posted..Christmas is ComingMy Profile

4. g.suzie says:

I think that is perfect for a small space, adding some greenery and useful as well. . .Some people are so clever, thanks for sharing!
    Have a great day.

5. It’s cute! If it’s hot, you’ll have to water them twice a day, and since the pots are small, they might need fertilizer at some point. I’d do it though!
    Carla Mayfield recently posted..Christmas in July on Etsy!My Profile

6. very cute for a small spot…..xoxo lylah
    lylah ledner recently posted..PDX Has Awesome Food From The TrucksMy Profile

7. I love it Melissa. Very clever. Did you see this post? This is the BIG way, but so EASY! :) Put on the side of your house! :)

XO Sandy
    Sandy recently posted..UP Printing Gallery Wrapped Canvas Prints- Giveaway!My Profile

• Melissa says:

Yes, I put it on my Facebook, and my tumblr, I think! Love that idea!! I’d use it on the side of the house, except I’d have to take a hike to get my herbs. And, I just wouldn’t do it cause I’m too lazy. :-)

8. What a great idea! I am not a gardner, but I always think about doing it :)
    Jocelyn Stott recently posted..The BEST Caprese Salad EVERMy Profile

9. I love this idea! I’ve put our herbs and salad in pots for on the patio but this is so cute and ti takes up less space, I may need to think about this for next year.

I’m not really a gardener yet though – only had our garden a month. Loving all the blog inspiration though!
    Jade
    Jade recently posted..Stovies in a Le Creuset PanMy Profile

10. I think it is great… just make sure to put it close to the kitchen and then don’t forget to use them. LOL
    Connie recently posted..Vintage Tub ChairMy Profile

11. I think it will totally work! Pots for herbs don’t have to be huge!
    Jess recently posted..Light- White Accents!My Profile

12. I’ve got lots of pots full of herbs. They do need to be watered frequently. Just keep pinching the flowers off of the herbs (like basil and cilantro) to keep them going full boogie! Looks like a fun idea!
    Astrid recently posted..Say hello to Tampere- Finland!My Profile

13. Monique says:

Nice idea if I had a stand alone trellis. I wonder if the lack of air flow would cause mildew or mold on the wall especially during periods of high humidity or rain. Has anyone tried out this idea?

14. I love fresh, home-grown herbs, and I like this idea!
    Imperfect recently posted..A Hunting We Will GoMy Profile

15. I love this idea!!! Pretty, provides privacy and yummy fresh herbs for recipes….go for it!
    Mary Joy recently posted..Loving my Body Inside &amp Outa visit to my Weight Loss JourneyMy Profile

16. I LOVE this idea! I’d love to put something like that outside my back door, but I doubt there’s enough sun out there. I like that it’s pretty and functional!

17. Oooooh, I love this.

I have some adorable hanging planters that I might use for this purpose!

Becky K.
    Becky K. recently posted..A Tale of a Hospital StayMy Profile

18. Cute idea, what would you do in the wintertime with it? The trellis, that is?
    Lindsey recently posted..Ruffles!!My Profile

19. I think it’s a great solution but I’d wonder how the water will drain if the pots are solid. You could probably get around that by putting plastic pots (with drain holes) in the galvanized pots and removing them to water. The herbs would eventually outgrow the container but not before a full season of fresh herbs for your cooking. :-)

20. Karen Miles says:

Clever! For more space, you could hang a small windowbox across the bottom half and then put your smaller pots across the top. I’d top them all with some moss to help keep them moist. Good luck!

21. LOVE it! I can’t wait to try it!!

22. I love this idea Melissa, but I would have to put it right by the back door. I am lazy when I am cooking, the less steps the better. This gives me a great idea.
    Eileen recently posted..My Backyard EscapeMy Profile

23. I absolutely love this idea. We currently have a whole mess of pots right outside the backdoor… functional but not pretty! I love the idea of making them vertical. Thanks for posting.
    Michelle recently posted..Summer Guest Blogger Friday! Its Brittany from Barefoot Foodie!My Profile

24. Misty Funk says:

I love my herb garden. What a great idea to spice things up! Thanks, Melissa!
    Misty Funk recently posted..Ten Simple Antioxidant FoodsMy Profile