Small Bedroom Makeover: Before & After

Small Bedroom Makeover Before and After - The Inspired Room

This small bedroom makeover was completed in partnership with Ashley HomeStore

Welcome to our small bedroom makeover! I’m so excited to finally show you (for the first time!) this small bedroom on our main floor. And even better, you’ll get to see both the before and after makeover photos today!

While I originally thought this little bedroom would work best for an office, after I tried it out for a few months (fortunately before decorating it) I realized that it was just a pinch too small and cramped to be inviting and comfortable for my work. I’ll share more on the new office in a future post.

Small Bedroom Makeover - The Inspired Room blog

As we were starting to move the office furniture downstairs, Ashley HomeStore contacted me about doing a fun room makeover project. I was asked to create a before and after of a newly furnished space! That sounded like a splendid idea to me (I’ve been craving a finished room in this house). Since this room was going to be empty, it was the obvious choice for this project. I was thrilled to have the nudge to make this unoccupied space into a comfortable guest room, which we really needed.

Small Space Bedroom Makeover - The Inspired Room

Although I had seen Ashley HomeStore around town I had never stopped in. I’m so glad I was introduced to their furniture because they have some really great pieces. I’m excited to have been able to incorporate several really neat things from Ashley HomeStore in my small bedroom makeover.

Bedroom Makeover by The Inspired Room - Small Space

The Inspired Room - Small Bedroom Makeover

Bedroom Before - The Inspired Room Small Bedroom Transformation

Before I tell you about the updates, this is the before photo of this room. Even though it is a tiny room as you can see, it had three things going for it: nice baseboard moldings, hardwood floors and a bright cheery window.

Small Bedroom Transformation - The Inspired Room

The challenge with this room is obviously that it is SMALL! I knew I wanted a queen sized bed for guests, but worried that it wouldn’t fit. But after carefully measuring and selecting the right pieces, I was able to fit both a queen bed and small nightstands.

Small Bedroom Makeover - Before and After by The Inspired Room

The upholstered dark gray bed with nailhead trim is really nice and makes a great statement. I especially liked that it had a fully cushioned frame but not a tall footboard because with such a tiny room it would have felt too cramped. This bed was just right.

My parents have already stayed with us in the new guest room and I’m happy to say they LOVED it. The bed was really comfortable (we got the mattress from Ashley HomeStore, too). The quilts are SO soft and luxurious! We layered a couple of bedding sets together. Not only does it look great to have a mix of bedding, but it’s nice to offer guests options.

Small Bedroom Makeover by The Inspired Room

The adorable little glass and gold nesting tables are so airy. I was pleased to find ones that were appropriately scaled for either side of the bed. The cute apothecary lamps sat comfortably on the tables to offer guests plenty of light to read at night.

Because it’s such a little room the main things I really wanted in the room were mirrors to reflect light and allow guests to get ready for the day in their room. We selected two mirrors I LOVE.

Farmhouse Mirror - Small Bedroom Makeover by The Inspired Room

full length mirror adds a textural weathered element to the room. I love it! It’s so nice to be able to see your full outfit.

Gold Mirror in Small Bedroom Makeover - The Inspired Room

This gold mirror is one of my favorite pieces now! The antiqued finish is so pretty and the arched top adds a little curve to the space.

Patterned Pillows - Small Bedroom Makeover

The throw pillow are gorgeous, I was super impressed with the quality and style.

Small Bedroom Makeover - Teal Wall Clock - The Inspired Room

We also adore this green wall clock. Since most people travel with cell phones we didn’t think we needed to offer a traditional alarm clock but this one is both handy and cute on the wall.

Small Bedroom Makeover - The Inspired Room

The gold tray is really amazing and another of my favorite elements. It’s super heavy and looks really cool in the room. We thought it was a fun idea to have it on the bed when a guest arrives. It’s perfect for a little bouquet and a gift of a souvenir Seattle coffee mug for their morning coffee.

Closet Before - Small Bedroom Transformation

This is the before photo of the closet area. Since this is such a tiny room we wanted to freshen up the closet area. We decided to leave it open without doors or curtains so the nook would feel more like a part of the room.

Small Guest Room Closet Makeover
Now it’s a nice little spot for guests to set their suitcase and hang some clothes.

Small Guest Room Closet - The Inspired Room

This sweet little cabinet tucked in perfectly to the nook. It is so sturdy and offers room for extra blankets and for guests to stash a few things if they are staying awhile.

Small Guest Room Makeover - The Inspired Room

The throw blankets are really fun to toss on the bedding as a finishing touch. I like the tassel trim! The jute rug is a nice cozy addition to the space, too. It adds a little more warmth and really helps to quiet the room.

Small Bedroom Makeover - The Inspired Room blog

Before and After Small Bedroom Makeover

So now that you’ve seen the room and all the beautiful items in it, here’s a final look at the before and after. Ahhh, I LOVE IT! I’m so excited to have a fun new space that feels complete but that I can still change up for my guests all year round.

Small Bedroom Makeover - Before and After by The Inspired Room

I also discovered that it is the perfect escape for ME during all the craziness around our house. We have been in huge project completion mode in several other rooms in our house so I prop myself up on this bed at least once a day to relax and just enjoy a finished space.

Thanks for stopping by for my small bedroom makeover, I’ll have lots more updates from our house coming up soon so stay tuned.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. What a lovely transformation! It’s great that you were able to fit a queen bed in there with room to get around on both sides! That, the mirror, a spot for the suitcase, and a little hanging space are all that guests really need. I think it’s good to leave a guest closet open, so they know that they are welcome to use it. Beautiful post!
    Cathy recently posted..Strawberry Chicken SaladMy Profile

2. I love your small bedroom makeover! We have a small home as well, so this is very pertinent to my situation. Would love to know the room dimensions?!

3. Denise Jarman says:

I also love the room especially as my bedroom is about the same size. I was wondering what colour you painted the walls. My room has a blue/grey carpet and I thought your wall colour might help my room look more elegant. :)

4. Canadian fan says:

beautifully serene. do you mind divulging source/name of drapery fabric?

thank you.

5. Angelle says:

Love what you did in this guest room. The open closet is a great idea. The curtains are fabulous! Please share the source.

6. This looks great, Melissa! I love the way you used the closet space. That was really smart.

7. Beautifully done. I especially like the curtains. Where did you purchase them?

8. The closet redo is so functional AND cute. The floor length drapes make a big difference too.
    Susan recently posted..Tim Street-Porter captures moody boho home vibe again & againMy Profile

9. Love this room, Melissa. You have such a way with subtle color and pattern combinations, lovely yet comfortable spaces. I can imagine what wonders you would do as a B&B decor consultant. Cheers, Ardith

10. Looks great! Was there a change made to the overhead light, or was it removed? A little chandelier would be cute.

11. Looks great! Can you please tell me if the curtains are from Ashley as well? Thanks

12. So excited to see a room makeover of yours! This guest bedroom is so lovely and inviting! I love the small nightstands and the bedding is just asking to be snuggled in. I’m excited to see your new office space in the future!
    Carmen Gomez (Lilly) recently posted..Etsy Shop AnnouncementMy Profile

13. I love the room and what you did with it. However, for someone to copy your design would require quite a lot of $$$ that many of us do not have. You were fortunate that Ashley was providing you with the means to make it so pretty and functional. I do love seeing what you are doing with your new and smaller home – keep up the good work. We small home people need some new ideas.

14. I love the warmth and multiple textures of this room – nicely done!

15. Mary Burchette says:

What a lovely room, Melissa ~ it looks so cozy and welcoming! Your guests may never want to leave! ;)

16. This is adorable and cozy and completely inviting. I was always taught growing up not to mix metals but I love this! I’m thinking back and chuckling a little to myself that our favorite color combos in the 60s were blue/green and orange/pink and watching my mother’s reactions to them having grown up being told never to mix those colors. That didn’t stop us and thank goodness!

17. Love the room❤️ Do you have the name of the curtains from Target??
    Thank you!!

18. You are so smart as always, Melissa, choosing to “think” and “use” and “think” again before you “do” a room. That room would have been too stifling for your office where you spend a lot of time and often need to spread out (doesn’t look much wider than 8′, maybe 8’x10′) but completely charming as a guest bedroom and totally achievable on a modest budget (if you choose to be inspired by rather than copy exactly). The open closet is brilliant – really does look as if meant to be a nook and something you’d find in a boutique hotel. Now if you really wanted to reflect the light, you could add a mirror on the back wall above the shelf to complete the vignette or, if too much, a neat piece of art (move the hangers to the left above the plant when no guests). Thanks for sharing with us and so looking forward to more.

19. Such a smart and beautiful design – you are truly talented!
    Barbara (WA) recently posted..Pumpkin ArtMy Profile

20. I love how the room “feels blue” even thought it only has a few accent pieces in it that are that color. You can easily switch out the colors.
    Amy recently posted..Hair CrownMy Profile

21. annette says:

Another winner,Melissa! Thanks for allowing us to see the beautiful transformation. I love your posts,as I think I am the original”looky-lou”.xo

22. What a beautiful way to use a small space!
    Kari
    Kari recently posted..Sweet & Spicy Turkey TacosMy Profile

23. Absolutely lovely! I love how thoughtful and deliberate you are about how to best use the space for it’s intended purpose. Just perfect for a guest space.

PS: So enjoying coming home from work these days and relaxing with my Inspired Room coloring book! So fun!

24. Love the color scheme! This tiny room is beautiful.

25. beautiful, could you please share the sources for the bedding

26. Oh I love it! I found it so refreshing to see a finished before and after myself! I am so lost in projects and plans for our house I loved seeing this space. It’s beautiful and perfectly furnished.
    Rachel recently posted..Make Room For What You LoveMy Profile

27. What a lovely and restful room!
    Deanna Rabe recently posted..My Sister, My FriendMy Profile

28. Adrienne says:

I love your makeover! It’s very “Melissa”; Blue, Gray, White, and a pop of unexpected. :) A quick question for you, I love the bed, are you using a box spring in your guest room? It’s a nice looking frame but i’m concerned that if I put a box spring and a mattress it will be too tall and won’t look right.

Thanks!

29. Beautiful and so very welcoming. did the larger mirror come from Ashley, as well? Think I may need to check them out soon, just what I’ve been looking for. Is it a platform bed? the closet idea is genius!

30. I love it! It is so refreshing to see an *actual* small space design! So often the “small room” posts are bigger than my master bedroom! It turned out beautifully – nice job.

31. Tammy fuller says:

What an inviting space!

32. Rebecca Turner says:

Very nice! I love the headboard and the gold tray! Etc. Etc. I wonder if you’ve thought of adding wallpaper to the closet? …or artwork, or a trio of small mirrors? Also a luggage rack? In my guest room I have space for a portable table, and if I don’t put it out, suitcases inevitably end up on the bed, which I don’t like. I have white bedding. Not the most practical choice, but I love it! I also provide an iron and ironing board because if I don’t, I get asked for it. Another thing that I’ve been asked for is an extension cord and an electrical bar for additional plugs. With so many electronics people need a charging station. We took the TV out of the guest room to avoid having it left on all night. (People fall asleep with it on.) So far so good. I enjoyed your post!

33. What an inviting and balanced space! I love how your style is so warm and cozy but also elegant and clean. I was wondering about the gold mirror–I couldn’t find a link to it in the post, and I searched on the website for it, but I couldn’t find it. Sorry to be a pain!! Thanks again for sharing your talents, brilliance and sweet spirit with us! :)

34. Wow, you thought of everything and made great use of your small space! I love it! We have a very tiny guest bedroom as well and bought a queen size bed from Ashley’s and it has two large deep drawers built into the footboard ( which is low). Perfect because there is no room for a dresser. We do have a nice sized closet in this room tho. Love your transformation, Melissa! You really thought it all thru and created a very beautiful, practical space for your guests!

35. Just lovely!! Perfect for a guest room – I can see how it would have been a bit small for your office. I look forward to seeing what else you get accomplished!

36. I cannot tell you what a great inspiration this room was!!! All of the rooms in my Santa Barbara cottage are small and decorating them is a definite challenge for me. My son will be leaving for college soon and his room will be a guest room. It is small and a bit dark, but your makeover shows me that I can make it light, bright, and comfortable for guests and for my son when he comes home to visit (which is, hopefully, often).
    Best & Bisous,
    Michelle from Simply Santa Barbara

37. Wow, this is gorgeous, you’ve done such a great job at making the room look so lovely and inviting, and providing everything your guests might need, whilst not making the room feel cramped or cluttered. I wish I had your talent for interior design!

38. Lauren B says:

So pretty! All three of our bedrooms are very small (one about this size, two slightly wider, but about as long) and the scale can be so hard! I love how beautiful yours looks. We added curtains in lieu of the heavy/dated mirrored doors (I like mirrors on my wall, but not staring at me while I sleep!) and it adds such a softness to the room. I love your nook- definitely okay and practical for guests.

39. Elizabeth Jaring says:

What is the wall paint color you used? That was the best change to the room :)

40. This is really lovely. Do you happen to know the dimensions of the room? I’m moving to a new house soon and one of the bedrooms is so tiny! I’m wondering if it’s similar in size and I could accomplish this with a queen sized bed.

41. melissa atkinson says:

Can you provide details for the curtains? Is there a link for purchase?

42. Jude Newman says:

I like the colors in this room.

43. Donna Whisnant says:

Love this room. What exactly is the measurements of the room, not including the closet. I have a tiny room like this but never considered making it a guest bedroom, but now I do. Thank you for sharing.

44. Wow! You have a gift.

45. This looks great. Nice and cozy. I love that you added mirrors to give add depth to the room.

46. Donna Kudzman says:

Hello! LOVE that pillow, any chance you can share the find?

Donna

47. What a beautiful transformation and lovely to see a finished room. I love everything about it, the colours and textures are perfect. Looking forward to seeing more projects.

48. What a lovely space – our guest room is almost identical with a small space & an alcove. However, ours has 2 single beds but this has given me some ideas for freshening it up ….
    Dee at the Carlton recently posted..Twelfth night – time for the decorations to all be down …My Profile