As I am sitting down in my new family room getting ready to put together this post, I am looking around laughing.
A beautiful life?
We have boxes everywhere. Nothing is set where it belongs. We have black garbage bags hanging from blue painters tape at some of the windows. Beautiful?
Today it really hit me, moving is a ton of work. Messy work. Expensive work. While I’d love to spend the whole day unpacking boxes of pretty things to set out, the reality is that I spend most of my day dumping random things out of boxes that have no home yet (thus, the look of our kitchen tonight), or I spend hours on the phone trying to set up garbage service or mail service. Or writing big checks for things like a washer and dryer or little checks for things as glamorous as a plunger.
Life right now is just not pretty to look at. It is messy. But that is OK. Because living a beautiful life isn’t about everything being all perfect or pretty. It is about embracing where I am right now.
This month is all about balance. Am I making progress towards my goals?
Here is my plan for the next week. I am going to print out my list of goal words and tape them up in my bathroom. Every morning as I am getting ready I will see it and remind myself what is important to me. I will post another list somewhere in my kitchen that I will see later in the day.
It is helpful to me to see those 12 words during the day, so I can’t wait to see them posted. Seeing my list gives me permission to be authentic and to be happy with where I am in life. It relieves the pressure to do it all, to be awesome, or do more than is possible at this time. And it gives me some focus and direction on what to strive for.
Here are the kinds of things I think about when I look at my goals:
- Ambience is a goal because I enjoy finding beauty in living, so having a candle lit or a lamp glowing, or turning the fireplace on can make me happy and I can focus on that, rather than being stressed by the mess everywhere. If I start stressing about all the work to be done, I can go start the fireplace and focus on the ambience I CAN create (amidst the chaos). I can be thankful for the fireplace.
- Hospitality is important to me so I need to start planning to invite new friends over in the next few weeks, in spite of the disarray. It will make me feel more balanced to invite people over than it will putting it off until things are perfectly set up. It also motivates me to unpack faster!
- Financial freedom is important to me so if I have to live with garbage bag curtains for the time being, that is OK — I take my eyes off the garbage bags and remind myself that they are the financially responsible choice right now so who cares if I’m tacky. I’m KLASSY! Yeah. I won’t keep them up for long, I promise. I’ll find SOMETHING prettier.
- Healthy living is important to me so even getting on my exercise bike for 10 minutes can make me feel better about my life. Little bits of progress on my goal to reduce glaring evidence of blogging butt makes me feel more balanced. I put my bike where it is easy for me to use it and near a TV so I can watch the Today show while I ride. I set it up so I can be more successful.
- Family is important to me so if I am spending too much time fixing up the house or working and feel I have no time to play a game with my son, I feel rotten. Seeing the word FAMILY reminds me to do something special for my family. Even something small like setting a table instead of sitting around in various places of the house will make me feel like I am a good mom.
As I make little attempts to cover the goals I have, I really start to feel like I am more on top of things life is good. Beautiful even. Because I have defined a beautiful life to be something I can achieve and feel good about.
Yes, these photos are of my new kitchen and family room…just as they look right now as I am blogging. Not staged, not fluffed, just real!
How about you? Have you set any goals or made any progress this week towards the life YOU want? Feel free to share how things are going in the comments, or link up a post. I’d love to see how you are doing and I know others would be encouraged and inspired to be a part of your journey!
Mr. Linky rules:
- You may link up any post specifically about how you are finding a beautiful authentic life and how you are working your goals into every day living at home.
- Please link back from your post to The Inspired Room so others can find out what we are doing and join in. Feel free to use the A Beautiful Life image (above) to link back, if you want to (not required!).
- Please do not put links on Mr. Linky to your home page, unrelated posts or sales websites. Those links will be removed.
- You may share a posts on this topic each week, so jump in any time or participate every week!