Hello friends! It’s Cassie here with my monthly guest post. This month I am so excited to share with you our daughter’s new bedroom! We have been doing a lot of work on the “kid” spaces in our home this year, and we finally managed to somewhat finish one.
As we are expecting our second child (a boy!) come this August, we knew we would have to move some things around. Our daughter’s nursery was in our smallest bedroom, and our second bedroom was being used mostly for storage and sometimes for guest. We knew eventually that we wanted to move our daughter into the bigger room and keep the small bedroom a nursery. We also knew we wouldn’t need to buy very much since we would mostly use what we had already.
We were/are planning to move her into a “big girl” bed, but are waiting a few more months until she is a little older. So although this is her room, she actually still sleeps in her crib in the nursery. One purchase we did make was her toddler bed and bedding, which we kept very simple and gender neutral so we can use it with her brother when he gets old enough.
We wanted to keep the whole room pretty gender neutral, with just some accents being more girl specific. We know that someday, a boy and a girl might have to share this room, and I would prefer not to have to repaint or buy any big purchases over again. I used art from her old room, and some tissue banners we used for her first birthday party to dress things up a little. I also brought out some of her fancy shoes and put them on display, because I think they are far too pretty to keep in a closet!
We ended up only painting two walls, the wall behind her bed and the wall behind the shelves (which is only half of the wall technically.) We chose the color “Fawn Brindle” which is a neutral, warm grey that I think works well with what we already had, but wasn’t too similar to her old room. We also added some cloud decals in white and gold to dress up the bigger wall and I think they add a little touch of whimsy.
The two biggest DIY projects I did for this room were her dresser and the curtains. The curtains were simple, white panel curtains that hung in her old room and they had blackout curtains attached to them on the back. I really liked how they looked and didn’t really want to buy new ones, but also didn’t want to have plain white curtains. So I decided to dip dye them myself. I mixed two colors of fabric dye, a light pink and a tangerine, to get the coral color I wanted. I found a few good tutorials on how to do this, and I thought it was pretty easy. I also love how they turned out!
The dresser took much, much longer than the curtains. We have had this dresser since we got married, as it was given to us from my husband’s parents. It is the dresser my husband grew up using, and it was previously a golden-honey color. It was very well made and I knew I wanted to refinish it, but couldn’t decided what I wanted to do for the longest time. I then stumbled upon this tutorial, and was sold. I loved how it turned out, and it was so similar to my dresser that I knew it would look good when I got all done. I added some fun knobs, and then my husband very securely attached it to the wall.
Although we have a few more minor things to add and finish up, we are so happy with how this space turned out. And even though she doesn’t sleep there, our daughter also loves it. We used mostly what we had and tried to be smart about what we did have to buy.
I love reading your comments and hearing from all of you with my monthly posts! A few of you have asked if I have Pinterest or Instagram, and I do! My Instagram is set to private because I try to be careful, as a post a lot of pictures of my child. Please feel free to send me a request. You are also welcome to find me on Pinterest.
Thank you all for reading and catching up with me this month!