Styling a coffee table is sometimes a tricky task. You don’t want your tables to look cluttered, but it is a nice touch to have a few attractive items to add to the ambience of a room. A coffee table is a real focal point, so use it as an opportunity to have a little fun with styling!
To prevent the room for becoming overly cluttered or decorated, don’t style every table in a room with decor. If you want to style your coffee table, perhaps leave an end table clear.
I saw a great post on Neutral Dwelling and it inspired me to think about coffee table styling, so I thought I’d share the concept here.
Here is a simple formula that can get you started:
Books + Plant Material + Decorative Object = stylish and attractive table scape
Here are some other quick coffee table styling tips:
- Try unifying different shaped objects by using items of the same color. Three different shaped vases all in blue, for instance.
- Create interest with items of all one color by using different textures.
- Try opposites: pair smooth with rough, shiny with dull, old with new, round with square, organic with man-made.
- Vary the heights so that each object is just a little bit shorter than the next tallest item. This keep items from feeling disjointed.
- Make sure objects are not all too small. Choose at least one bolder item to be in focus.
- Use books or pedestals to elevate items that seem too short.
- Use a basket or tray filled with a collection of items: maybe books, fruit, artichokes, seashells, vintage toys, games or buttons.
- Interesting conversation pieces are wonderful for coffee tables, we use carved wood instruments and attractive wood or vintage game boards.
- Do double duty! Corral remote control clutter with pretty bowls or baskets.
- Leave plenty of room on the table for actually using the surface for something other than display. If you don’t leave room for a coffee cup, the table will appear awkward and will not be useful to you. Make table tops pretty & useful!
- Make sure your tablescape looks good from all angles.
- You can use just one item on your table, such as a piece of pottery or a vase, but make sure it isn’t tiny! Wide and bold would be a better choice than tall and skinny.
- When you look at magazines, focus in on coffee table table-scapes you like and duplicate what you see with your own items of similar size and shape!
Check out these four easy tips for decorating a coffee table!
For more decorating tips, check out the How to Decorate series!