New Bedroom Paint Color! Seagull Gray by Behr

by | Mar 12, 2018 | Decorating Inspiration, My Master Bedroom, My Seattle House | 34 comments

This post is in partnership with Behr

Hey friends! Before I let you in on my new bedroom paint color, I wanted to make sure you heard the news: I’m hosting a Color Clinic with Behr Paint this Thursday, March 15 from Noon-3p EST (9a-Noon PST). I’ll be answering your paint questions on Facebook (both on The Inspired Room Facebook page and the Behr Facebook page! I hope you’ll come by to say hi!)

Let’s talk about my newly repainted room! The new color is Seagull Gray by Behr (in eggshell enamel.). You might remember that our bedroom was the first room we painted in our house. I was writing a book as we moved to Seattle, so it was a pretty busy season all around! I remember thinking that the most important thing to me at that time was to have a cozy little nest to retreat to at the end of the day. So the very first thing we did was paint our room a dark moody color we absolutely loved.

UPDATE: Come see the finished bedroom reveal HERE!

We had a lot of painting and remodeling ahead of us, so it was great to have one room that felt pulled together as we worked on the rest of the house. It was just what we needed in that season of transition.

As we’ve become more settled in other areas of our home, I started thinking about this room again. It wasn’t that we didn’t like it as it was, we really did. I was ready for a change, but I dislike redoing things that are already done, you know? But sometimes I just need to make myself get over that and do what I know I’ll love the most. So I got brave and asked my husband to repaint the room, ha!

Even though it sometimes means you have to repaint walls, I love when I start to feel more certain of my design direction and how colors will all flow together with the overall vision. That’s when decorating starts to get really fun.

So with our design direction in mind, we decided to make a big leap and transform our room from dark to lighter! After my husband got over the shock that he was repainting this room again, he was on board and ready for a change.

As soon as the room was painted Seagull Gray Behr, we knew it was the right choice for us. I always love a serene and peaceful backdrop! It’s fun to have the option to change out other colors and accessories in the rest of the room and not have a bold color competing in the backdrop.

Seagull Gray is very subtle neutral gray, but at some times of day in our house it almost has a bit of a blue hue. It just feels so pretty, I love the soft contrast with the white woodwork. I’ll be sharing the design board for the rest of my room and the other progress we’ve already made in an upcoming post!

Even though the colors you see so far are soft and subtle, I’m bringing in lots of navy blue and white to punch the contrast as well as adding fun patterns, too! And, I’m getting a brand new bed (I’m finally giving my mom back her bed and I’m getting the bed I’ve wanted for years!! YIPPEE!).

Many of you have asked where this cabinet ended up when we removed it from our dining room, so now you know! I love that this piece doesn’t scream traditional “bedroom” as you see it from our front hallway.

Just for fun I also put together a pretty color palette below that would be beautiful with to Seagull Gray. We painted the little round picture frame (on the cabinet) City Rain from the palette. You could use this palette in a variety of ways, on walls, trim, cabinets, furniture, as well as fabrics and accessories.Theme Builder Layout

Don’t forget to come ask questions at the Color Clinic on Facebook this Thursday! I’ll be helping answer questions on colors and sheen for your projects Thursday, March 15 from Noon-3p EST (9a-Noon PST) both on The Inspired Room Facebook page and the Behr Facebook page.

In the meantime, you can explore the Behr Color Clinic site here and find a helpful sheen guide here.

If you want help choosing colors, this is a fun tool you can use to develop a color palette based on your favorite your Pinterest Boards and Pins called Pins to Palettes, check it out!

I also love this Color Discovery Tool which helps you consider colors based on the mood you want to create. You know I’m all about the mood!

UPDATE: Come see the finished bedroom reveal HERE!

Want to create a home you can’t wait to come home to?

I can help with that!

Grab your copy of Simple Decorating at Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Jump-start your style and refresh your home with budget-friendly and practical ideas from my book Simple Decorating! You’ll learn to embrace your style, reimagine your spaces, and transform hard-to-love areas into favorite destinations.

Order Simple Decorating at Amazon or Barnes and Noble

Beautiful color and it’s still a “cozy sanctuary”!

Thank you, Terri! It really is! We are loving this vibe, it definitely feels so comforting and soothing to us!

Thank you, me too! It’s a great backdrop, the hint of color makes it so soothing. It’s warmer and softer than a white.

Love the baskets on the wall. I actually have the Hearth & Hand one. Do you mind sharing where you got the others? The paint color is very relaxing. Great choice!

Love the color in your bedroom. It’s a wonderful neutral that allows the accents to pop!

Thanks, Diane! It is really a fun color, I agree that it allows the baskets and accessories to show off so well!

So that is where the cabinet went that I just love. Great location for it. I do love the color. I liked what you had and can see why you chose it when you did, but this is going to be a great color to work with. Can’t wait to see the bed you have always wanted.

It will be very easy to work with! I’m excited because I love changing things around, so I think this color will make those seasonal updates even more fun for me! Thank you, Sandy!

I look forward to seeing the room with both the new paint and the new bed! I have to say I loved the coziness of it before also….it was most definitely a little cozy sanctuary. My master suite is the one space in my house that is really ‘neutral’ – I chose Benjamin Moore’s Revere Pewter for the wall color, and I absolutely love it. It’s so peaceful and serene, and can look either grey or beige depending on the light and the accessories – it truly is a warm grey and goes with so much!

I love that about this color, too, it has subtle changes through the day and evening as well as other colors we will bring in. Thanks, Debbie! Can’t wait to show more!

Can you tell me what an “eggshell enamel” is? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Guess I have a lot to learn about paint finishes!

I have the same question about “eggshell enamel.”

Pretty. Funny, I did the opposite mid-December. I painted our bdrm and went from light to darker and we absolutely love it so much better.

Hi Melissa, I just love getting your emails and the posts you share! Your vision is amazing! Where did you find that beautiful cabinet (the one from our dining room)? I have been looking for this sort of piece for exactly the same sort of area in our bedroom ;) I just love your style and I cant thank you enough for inspiring me weekly!
    Looks like a Restoration Hardware piece… gosh I would love to find a look alike!

Thank you again for sharing your gifts to all of us!
    Cathy

I’m confused where is the rest of your room? I’m only seeing one wall with baskets on it .

I mentioned in the post we ordered a new bed and you’ll get to see the full room when it’s complete. This post was about the paint color change.

simply stunning…

Looks lovely and peaceful💛i. Is your bedroom ceiling painted? Thank you

I keep putting off painting an old bookcase that’s way ugly. I want to use it to gather all my children’s books (I’m a retired librarian!) into one place for my grandsons.
    Then, on to the dining room!

Where did your lamps come from?

I agree with Cathleen. Beautiful colors and design. I love to reuse furniture in a new way. It give you a totally different look! I too think your cabinet is lovely! I’m hoping you did do the painting on it. Would you mind sharing the color with us?!

A very peaceful color….beautiful.

I love it, so peaceful. Perfect for a bedroom. Odd question, how did you hang the large round “hot pad” – I have no idea what it’s actually called but we have it’s exact twin and I’ve been dying to hang it!

Ok, so I’m not crazy! That was my plan. Thanks so much for the reply!!

love the cabinet, please share where you got it.

I love this color. Excellent choice! I’m going to be painting my bedroom this summer and I’m normally not like this, but I’m afraid to commit! I like the subtle hues in the color you chose, I’m adding it to my list of colors I’m afraid to commit to! Haha~

Any tips for finding interesting baskets like these for the wall? I’ve been on a hunt!! I love the character and texture they add to your wall space!

I love the colour and love the baskets on the wall! It looks beautiful.

I love this space, tge color you choose, the fabulous baskets on the wall, I love everything.

Just pained my bedroom with seagull grey. Certain lighting I’m picking up a purple hue. Not sure I like it. Has anyone else had this? My other color was BM grey owl. I’m gonna try it in my bathroom.

Beautiful space. Would this color go well with Behr Lunar Surface?