This post is in partnership with Walmart
One of the most enjoyable things for me in decorating is to focus on enjoying the season we’re in! Why keep your spaces the same all the time when you can feel inspired with a few simple changes? We aren’t headed off on a tropical vacation this summer, but the sun is out right here so we’re savoring every moment of it. Last week I brought in some fun elements to our bedroom from Walmart Home to give it the feeling of a tropical retreat!
The things I chose for our space from Walmart Home are so cute and super flexible so they’ll work in other areas of the home and in other seasons, too. It’s really easy to switch the whole feeling of a room by simply changing a few accessories, so you don’t have spend a fortune.
Here are my Six Favorite Tips for Decorating a Summer Bedroom:
1. Decorate with what you love, but be willing to try something fresh and new! I got this floral white ceramic lamp with a teal shade. I’ve had simple white lamps in my room for a long time, but I have to say, I ADORE this quirky colorful lamp. I’m so glad I tried a new look! The style really spoke to me and gave my room a really fun personality!
After I fell in love with the lamp and brought it home, I saw one similar at a high end shop. Don’t you love when you get a deal on something you love and then find one similar but more expensive elsewhere? You have to know where to shop, be true to what you love and yet willing to try something new, and window shop often enough to jump on good finds when you discover the gems.
2. It’s OK to decorate spaces so they are pretty now, even if you think you are just going to change them later. I got this botanical wall art set because they are just so fun! This wall has felt uninspiring to me for a long time, but I kept debating what I was going to do about it. Now it makes me so happy to see it looking so finished, fresh and cute! I thought these pieces would be great as an accent anywhere you want a little splash of color. I think sometimes we are afraid to get or hang art because it seems too permanent or it makes a statement we might not be sure we want to commit to! I learned a long time ago to just HANG THE ART! You can always change it later, but you might also wonder what took you so long to fall in love with your space.
3. Try throwing in a touch of moody to a space, even in the summer. You don’t have to do all light and bright in the summer. A deeper tone in a shade you love can bring more contrast and dimension to the space. I got this faux suede peacock color pillow. I loved the color because it ties in so well with the lamp, but also it brings in a contrasting tone and a slightly more moody vibe which will be really nice as we head into fall, too.
4. Look for versatile layers. I got this white chenille 3 piece duvet and sham bedding set. I really wanted a simple lightweight textural white coverlet for our bed that would be easy to layer with other bedding throughout the year, or could be folded up and stored in the winter. When I saw this duvet cover I knew it was going to be perfect! You can use it like a coverlet, but it also has a button closure with ties so I can put in my faux-down insert to make it extra cozy and FLUFFY when I want to, or as we head into fall! I’ll show you how that looks next week. This will be really fun and cozy to use all year round. It came with the shams, too.
5. Don’t forget texture! I loved this little round wicker tray for texture, but also the versatility. Texture is an often overlooked element that really transforms the feeling of a room. I love setting up a little tray like this on a bed for guests, but it could also work on the wall as pretty decor or as a basket to corral anything on a counter or dresser.
6. Look for pillow covers with zippers. I was thrilled with the pillow covers I got in this blue and white patterned pillow set. They look so great with my style and can work in any room of our home. Plus, they have zippers, which I love for two reasons. One is you can fill it with the fluffiest pillow inserts so it’s super plump! Plump is good when it comes to pillows :). The other reason I love pillow covers is when the season is over or you just want to change the look, you can easily switch out the insert and put the cover away until next time you want to use it.
I loved how these pillows looked in our living room too (below).
Walmart Home has so many fun accessories for the home!
Shop my bedroom look:
Other source: Blue and White Patterned Pillow Set
More Walmart Decor Favorites (click thumbnails below for details):