Winter home tip:
Create mini-destinations in your home.
Remember the post on establishing a purpose for your room?
Well, you can even have special purposes for different corners within a room.
You might not have a whole room to devote to reading. But perhaps you have a large dining room or a bedroom with a bare corner. Tuck in a comfy chair, ottoman, a lamp and a good book and you have the perfect cozy reading nook!
It is fun to have pretty destinations in your home to enjoy on those long dark winter days.
I adore this reading nook, above, from the Pottery Barn website. Love the flirty yellow ruffled chair and ottoman! The space is so cheery and bright. Even on a winter’s day it would make me feel like the sun must be shining somewhere in the world!
If you need some inspiration for a good decorating book to enjoy in that cozy reading nook, revisit this post on great decorating books, read all the comments and jot down some to look for!
Country Living: A craft cabinet can be a “mini-destination”
What are some other ideas for
“mini-destinations” in your home?
- a spa-like bathroom “getaway” with fluffy white towels and bubble bath
- a craft area, cabinet or shelf stocked with colorful ribbons and papers
- an inspiring writing desk filled with notecards, stamps and pretty colored ink pens
- a baking center or pantry with organized supplies all stocked and ready to make your favorite treats
- a hostess closet with colorful tablecloths, cloth napkins, fancy glasses and fun serving dishes
- a treasured memory shelf with family photo albums, scrapbooks and glass memory jars
- start planning for a vacation in your own backyard
Feel free to share more ideas in the comments!
Here is the random winner of the $25 gift card to amazon.com! Congratulations! I’ll be emailing your gift card this week!