Theme Builder LayoutLights from Barn Light Electric

Hey friends! I was thinking about how many little snippets of life and home I share on Instagram every week (our family has several accounts we enjoy sharing on just for fun!). I know you all aren’t on Instagram and you’re actually my favorite people, so I thought I’d just share some of the images from last week.

These are just phone pics, but it’s fun to just share bits and pieces of life or things I’m working on. I find that snapping a photo keeps me focused on being mindful and grateful in the moment for all the beautiful blessings in life.

For the first time ever I ordered a pretty set of dishes. I mean, I’ve always bought pretty salad plates but I usually just stick to white dinner plates. I’ve never bought a set of dishes. Can you believe it? Frugal mama here. But my heart leaped for joy when I saw this set of blue and white dishes and we were really in need of new plates, so it was a match made in heaven. They had to be mine. Can’ t wait to set a spring table this year with these beauties!

My husband is a musician. We met when I was nineteen and I didn’t think he was really my type. Then he wrote me a song and played it on his acoustic guitar for Valentine’s day. We’ve pretty much been together every day since (you know, all ten years since then. JUST KIDDING, it’s been a couple decades longer than that). Differences could have pulled us apart but they have made life richer and sweeter.

These eggs are incredible, they are far and away our favorite (well, unless we bought some fresh from a farm locally I suppose!). I made our traditional Dutch Babies for brunch yesterday with them and they tasted better than ever. And the packaging is adorable, yes?

Life with dogs is never dull. Jack keeps us laughing.

Diffusing is a dream. If you are still thinking it’s weird or you don’t get the whole essential oil thing, I’d be happy to share and explain it to you. Seriously, they make such a huge difference in my emotional and physical health and overall well-being. I have been staying well all winter! You can email me anytime or follow our Pure & Lovely Instagram account for more details. *Update!* See my wellness station and how to use oils here.

Painters are coming this week to paint our window trim. Then I’ll finally be able to take the reveal photos and show you around our kitchen! Give me a little bit of time to get those photos done, but in the meantime I will be showing your our new flooring downstairs! There is so much to show, I’m excited to share these updates.

I don’t know how I got so blessed to have two girls who are are not only wonderful daughters but have grown up to be my best friends. We have a weekly meeting to catch up on all the happenings (often at a local coffee shop or restaurant). One of my daughters works with me full time (Courtney) and I’m dreaming of the day I can bring my oldest daughter Kylee on board full time, too. She works with us one day a week now and I LOVE having them both around!

Leo is getting so big! He’s about the size of Lily right now, but maybe a little stockier and heavier. He hasn’t had his puppy hair cut yet, but will soon! He’s such a sweetie. And check out his mom’s (my daughter Kylee) new sofa (above)! Remember her red couches? She’s been buying her first grown up furniture and it’s darling. I’ll have to get her to post an update :).

We’re expecting! Not a baby, but a new leaf on the fiddle leaf. He’s still growing like crazy!

OK, so if you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to have four doodles in the family (only the white pups live with me but the others hang out here as much as possible!), let me just tell you it’s a mix of pure joy and laughter and chaos. Jack looks like he’s about to take flight there with his ears.

Theme Builder LayoutBook: Love the Home You Have

I’m so excited to be finishing up some of these projects around our house. While I love the excitement of projects, I feel so much less frazzled when we aren’t doing them. Remodeling makes life feel a little too chaotic for me. So as we round the corner from “project phase” to more of a nesting phase, I am starting to feel like I can breathe a little more deeply.

It’s nice to be finally putting stuff where it goes, getting rid of stuff we know we don’t want and just feeling like we can put our house together and relax. While we have a list a mile long of more projects we want to get to, it’s nice to take a little break and just enjoy what we’ve done so far.

Like I said, dogs keep us on our toes. :)

You can follow along with our Instagrams below:

The Inspired Room

Pure & Lovely

Jack the Goldendoodle

Doodles at Home

Kylee

Courtney

I’ve been eyeing those dishes at Ballard–gorgeous!

HI Melissa , I don’t do Instagram and that was so much fun! Thanks for sharing! Pam

I’m a Canadian, a Christian lady, a granny and I love, love following you on your journey. Love your style, which is positive and inspirational. Hugs❣❤❣

Hi Marion! What a blessing to have you following along. Thank you so much for introducing yourself and your kind encouragement!!

I would love an update on how your daughter got the red sofas out of her house to make room for the new. 😊

Where did you purchase that black essential
    Oil diffuser? It looks quite nice
    Thankyou

I’m not in Instagram, so I’m so thankful you shar d your sweet photos of life at your home presently. Thatbdutch door in the entry is to die for! Can’t wait to see the one in the kitchen! The dogs are too stinkin cute…such personalities seen on their adorable faces! Your home in see pics looks like it’s becoming your true sancuary, especially with your diffusers shown. God bless you, Melissa, as you begin to be able to rest in your beautiful environment and reap the rewards of good planning and patience. It’s all so lovely! 😍

Thank you, Jo Jo! You are a delight, thank you for your cheerful and thoughtful comments and support, you keep me going! XO

What is that Breathe Again that is pictured in the second to last picture please?

Hi Sarah! It’s awesome, it’s a natural essential oil product from Young Living. You can order it and find details on the company here >https://theinspiredroom.net/how-to-order-essential-oils/ or email me if you want more info!

I really need to post on Instagram more but I just figure out how to use. I have a gardening blog that is going no where fast and I know it would truly help. What’s your best tip?

Thank you Melissa for those sweet photos…..smiles all around!
    Oh my that front door. I LOVE IT so much! What an excellent choice. I’ve always dreamed of having one….but too many big ugly flying bugs where I live. (I’m sure they are good for something…just haven’t figured out what it is) :)
    I usually only like plain dishes….but your new ones are gorgeous!
    Good post…thanks!!! XOXO

Each and every picture carried such a lovely thought. I got quite a chuckle out of Kylee’s red sofa saga – I missed it the first time around. Too funny.
    And I must say your house looks so clean and bright. I really liked your previous home but there is something about this one that I really love.

I relate to your excitement over a new leaf on the fiddle leaf fig! Me too, whenever mine gets a new leaf. AndI love the dog pics!

I love every room in your house. Where did you purchase the blue rug shown in the picture with the guitar? Thank you.

Thank you so much, Vicky! That rug was from HomeGoods a few months ago. They had quite a few various types like that!

My favorite pic is the last one with the shredded roll of paper towels. I can relate to that the most, with the pillows all scattered and a sweet puppy face staring back at you. So glad that you are down-to-earth enough to show the “real, real life” pics as well as the beautiful staged ones. Keep up the good work and get ready for MUD season with all those paws!!

I love your space, you did a fabulously job. My son saw your post of your four babies (your dogs), right away he wanted one. I then showed him just how much they are keeping you and your family on your toes, and asked him will he clean up after them? Let me just say, he don’t clean up after himself, I don’t think he will clean up after his dog. Been there done that, and it all became my responsibility

What a great post!! I love seeing all these little snippets of your life!! Like you, I can’t wait to see your kitchen project completed, although no doubt I’ll be completely jealous when I see your awesome new kitchen! :)

Thanks for sharing all these. Two comments – the shredded paper towel. Totally my life right now except instead of a dog it’s my toddler haha. Also, dutch babies are my jam. Ever since I discovered a recipe in Martha Stewart Living (or was it BHG?) for brown butter apple dutch baby with cardamon sugar I haven’t looked back. I seek any opportunity to make it.

:) Cardamon sugar? OH MY! I’ve got to look for that recipe! We’ve made Dutch babies for years but I’ve never heard of that one. Sounds amazing!

Melissa, I’m curious about your weekly catch up meetings with your girls. With you and Courtney working together is it ever weird to catch up with the three of you when you and C know so much of what is going on with each other?

I’ve been working with my sister, who works from home where my Mom also lives, so I’m seeing looooots of them and barely anything of my other sister.

I hadn’t thought of organizing a regular catch up session, but I can see that it might be good!

Absolutely beautiful! I so … SO identify with falling in love with a door. In my case it was a looking at a wall in a newly purchased 1830s house on coast of Maine and saying “There. There needs to be a ceiling to floor window… there!” It took 11 years but it went in this past fall and oh am I tickled :)) What a lovely remodel. I’m new here and will return and return and return.

Welcome, Lisa! Waving at you across the country! I’m so glad you’re here. Your home and the new window sounds like an incredible dream come true!!