COZY & INVITING DINING ROOM
We’re doing a fun periodic “mini-series” within our Fall Nesting series this year called Cozy & Inviting! Our first room in this series was here. The purpose of the post is just to let us study a room and observe the details you see or that stand out to you, even if it isn’t your style or favorite room!
In these posts I will share one inspiration room that feels cozy and inviting to me (for a variety of reasons!). Then I’ll quickly brainstorm a list of whatever elements I see that I think help create that mood.
Sometimes I’ll feature rooms that incorporate traditional “fall decorating” items (the pumpkins and plaid pillows, for example!), other times we’ll focus on more general design elements or the mix of textures or accessories that can be incorporated into a room to inspire the mood this season.
Then, I’ll feature some design elements or tips to “get the look” into our home.
I’ve been doing occasional observation posts similar to this on The Inspired Room for over a decade. There are so many reasons I always found this to be a helpful exercise (I used to observe magazine photos long before I even started blogging, just for myself!), but I think it’s more valuable now than ever in light of the fast pace and volume of images and design trends we can be exposed to on social media (particularly Instagram).
I’ll share more of my thoughts on Instagram and design in a future post because I have so many thoughts :).
Here are some of my observations and notes on what stands out to me about this room. At end of this post you’ll find pieces I would consider including in the design if I was styling a similar space!
- Comfy upholstered chairs make it look like an inviting place to sit and stay awhile! The chairs are timeless in a neutral linen fabric, making it easy to add different accent colors and patterns throughout the room.
- The rustic wood farm table adds warmth and richness to an otherwise light space.
- The built-in cabinet is filled with an eclectic mix of collected decor.
- The iron wall hanging over the doorway adds extra interest and charm to a simple door frame.
- Two oversized aged copper lanterns are unexpected and make a charming statement (reminds me of my dining room at my old house with the copper lantern!). Read my tips for statement lighting and my favorite places to get lights here.
- I like the simple white walls in the dining room connected to a wallpapered room with gray trim. It’s an interesting change between the two spaces and the intrigue makes me wish I could walk through the whole house!
- Crown molding adds a nice finishing touch to the walls.
- I love the paned windows and the French doors in the adjoining room.
- The simple centerpiece is a nice welcoming touch that adds life to the space! I like the pop of color with the purple, and the texture of the metal vase.
- The blue patterned table runner is cozy and again adds color and texture to the room.
Chime in with your own observations, ideas or thoughts in the comments today and on all of the Fall Nesting posts (don’t forget your comments on EVERY POST enter you into a monthly surprise box giveaway both here and on Instagram!).
Get the Look:
Find other posts in the Cozy & Inviting Get the Look series below: