Front Door Refresh

Charcoal Painted Front Door - The Inspired Room

A few weeks ago we noticed our door needed a fresh coat of paint. Between the dogs and all the traffic in and out, the paint was getting a little beat up. For the past year or so, we had been entertaining the idea of softening the front door color. Now that our paint colors are starting to flow better and we have a more clear direction for the overall color scheme of our home, the black just seemed a little harsh.

Coastal Entry

I love black doors, but since I had been questioning whether or not it felt too harsh in my house for so long, I decided it wouldn’t hurt to try a softer tone! Since we had plenty of our kitchen cabinet paint (Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal) and we knew it worked great in our overall color scheme, we thought we might as well start there! It was worth a try.

Dark Gray Painted Front Door - The Inspired Room

Turns out, we love it! See the difference? I only wish I hadn’t waited so long to try it!

By the way, the trim color is Dove White by Benjamin Moore and the walls are Studio Taupe by Behr All-In-One.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Yes definitely looks like it blends better. Glad you love it.
    Nat recently posted..Good FridayMy Profile

2. So pretty!
    I like your unusual birch branch propped in the corner — it’s unexpected + interesting!
    Kay recently posted..PORCH POSTS!My Profile

3. Soft, distinctive. A stand-out, especially against the white!
    Linda recently posted..When Hope Comes in Fluorescent BlueMy Profile

4. Lovely, just lovely. The grey must be such a welcome change from the stark black. I am so in love with so many shades of grey right now, and this one is just perfect for your door. I love the door style, too! The birch branch, the basket, the wainscoting, it all comes together just perfectly!
    Chloe Crabtree recently posted..Lemon Pie MilkshakeMy Profile

5. Love it! In my book, charcoal gray is always a classic.

6. Looks GREAT!

7. Beautiful! Can you tell me the other colors you used such as wall & trim. Also interested in your floors. Every thing so refreshing.

8. Love the change in color to Gray – you are right the black color looked harsh. Touch of the basket and birch branch along with a little potted plant and family frame to the right softens the whole entryway and is very welcoming.
    Are you planning on adding a rug ???

9. Genius! It looks perfect!

10. Okay I totally need to try this! Looks amazing!!

Kayla
    Kayla recently posted..happy friday – weekend readingMy Profile

11. Can you please let me know where you got your wooden floors from? I have been looking for floors like that for literally a year! Thank you x

12. Do you paint the door with it hanging there or do you take it down and lay it flat? My front door is looking for a new color but I always get overwhelmed with the process! LOL!

13. How did you paint the door without actually replacing it? The paint stays tacky for so long!

14. Love it! Looks so much softer and seems to flow better.

15. Shannon says:

That is very pretty! I love the idea of tying your entry colors with the kitchen. We’ll be doing something similar once we get around to redoing the kitchen. Flow is so important!

16. love the wall color in these photos! what is it? we’re looking to re-paint our living room…

17. Karen on Bainbridge Island says:

We had a black front door in our old house in California. Benjamin Moore “Soot” with just a hint of purplish/gray in the light, which softened it a bit. I really like the change in your door, and, over time, I bet the wear and tear isn’t as noticeable as with black.

18. MELISSA! LOVE the change, isn’t it funny how something like this can be staring us in the face then all of the sudden one day it is time to make the change and then you wonder why you waited this long to change it? It looks fabulous, love it with your beautiful floors,
    Happy Friday,
    Kathysue
    KATHYSUE recently posted..More Decisions Made For The Guest RoomMy Profile

19. Love the color—especially with your interior wall color!
    Diane West recently posted..You have to tear down before you can build upMy Profile

20. Melissa, it’s a perfect choice, it looks wonderful! and good job using what you already have :-)
    Cynthia recently posted..plank wall in the dining room – reveal!My Profile

21. Did you paint the inside and outside the same color? I really want a black door to do with the outside colors of our house, but like you think the black would be too much for the inside.

22. I LOVE the color of the door. Also love the color of the paint in the room – do you know what color that is? Looks great!
    Rebecca recently posted..Friday Favorites in FiveMy Profile

23. Love, love, love the gray door! It works perfectly with your interior wall color too! Great choice.

24. We are actually getting ready to paint ours a similar color. I think it’s called Muted Ebony by Valspar. It was on the same line of paint chips as our wall color so it goes really well. Love your color!

25. Love it! I’ve been entertaining the idea of painting our front door pretty much this very shade of gray and this just clinched it for me.
    Lydia recently posted..Why I Always Open Department Store “Junk” MailMy Profile

26. Perfect! I’m amazed at the softness and feel of the ‘new’ color in the entry. I also like the dresser to the side of the door. It feels more like a room than just an entry now. Isn’t it amazing how changing the tone can change the atmosphere completely?
    Diane recently posted..Creating a Coastal Vibe with DIY Paintings | Project Inspire{d} Link Party Week 76My Profile

27. I actually like both looks a lot. But you’re right, the charcoal gray gives the room a softer touch. Nicely done!

28. Kayla J says:

I also like the gray, but I’ve gotta say (hehe), that I think I like the black better. Maybe it’s the French in me. :) Both are lovely, and I’m glad you’ve done something that works for the feel of your home. :)

29. I am wanting a new colour on our door as well and I am certainly going to check this colour out. I was looking for a true grey without blue or mauve undertones so it’s time to try a paint chip on the front door. Once that is decided I want to get rid of the brass hardware and pick out a brushed nickel set. You always seem to get me thinking!!!

30. Taberah Carter says:

Quite lovely!

31. I love the charcoal door…it’s perfect! Small changes can make such a difference.
    Julie recently posted..Crunchy Asian Sesame SaladMy Profile

32. I’m a BIG Chelsea Gray and Kendall Charcoal fan! We went with a black door as the dining room adjacent is Iron Mountain (dark!), but in our last home we had Chelsea in the kitchen. Loved it! And love the subtle change to your entry door. Perfect!

33. Christina says:

I love, love, love the charcoal gray and your whole house for that matter. Where is your door from? I’d love to replace ours to let a little light into our foyer.

34. melinda says:

Could you please share where you got that chevron doormat? It’s wonderful!

35. Loved the new door color. I loved the black too, but this one definitely feels less “harsh.” So pretty!

36. The door looks great! It looked nice before, but just that simple change of color created such a warm area! Great choice!

37. denise Kass says:

I am in love with your blog! Could you please change my email address to the new one I just posted? Happy creating! Denise

Deniseskass@gmail.com