Inspired Holidays {Day 4}:: 4 Ideas for Decorating Naturally

by | Oct 3, 2011 | 31 Days: Inspired Holidays, Decorating Inspiration, Fall Decorating | 19 comments

Better Homes and Gardens

Fall and Thanksgiving Decorating Ideas

Did you see my Autumn Manifesto on {Day 3}? If not, you can find it here!

I love to decorate simply and naturally using things that are readily and easily available. Every now and then I have fun with craftiness, but nothing ever makes me as happy as something that is lovely as it is or with only slight creative embellishment.

Here are a few great inspiration photos and tips for fall and Thanksgiving decorating.

1. K.I.S.S.

You know the saying, K.I.S.S?  Keep it simple, sister. It is a good motto for us busy women. We have plenty of things we want to do in this season so if we can decorate simply, I’m all for that. And seriously, a simple pumpkin or gourd can be beautiful all on its own. Nature is the best place to find beautiful things. Pile a few pumpkins or gourds up on a bench or inside on a shelf. Easy, natural, beautiful.

Theme Builder LayoutBetter Homes & Gardens

2. Head outside!

If you are so lucky to live in an area where you have some fall branches, you don’t need to look further than your own front yard. A few branches in a vase or jar will the perfect touch.  Tossing a few mini-pumpkins in the vase first will help keep your stems tidy and make it look prettier at the same time.

Theme Builder LayoutBetter Homes & Gardens

3. Add a little creative flair.

If you like to add your own creative touch (nothing wrong with that!), I love this simple idea of adding some wire to pumpkins and gourds. You still get to appreciate the beauty and enjoy a little easy creativity, too.

Better Homes & Gardens

4. Don’t forget to smile!

These just made me smile. Precious, aren’t they? I thought these were lovely. Simple gourd vases. I really want to make these.

Thanks for following along!

What are some “inspired for the holiday” topics you’d like to see down the road in this series?

::For my previous posts, visit my series welcome page for a list of links!
::Here is a list of everyone who is participating in this enormous 31 day party!

I love keeping it simple.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    31 days of Christmas Wonder

ps. Congrats on over 700 31 dayers.

I don’t know what has come over me these past couple of years but I’m all about ignoring boxes of seasonal decorations in my basement and keeping the fall decor simple! I’m loving bringing in hydrangea and sedum from my garden.

Simple is perfect. Now there’s a way to preserve a beautiful branch of leaves using glycerin or something…oh, that would NOT be simple.

Love the branches in the vase, with the mini pumpkins. I think I have a vase like that! This is why I come here, no long shopping lists so I can do a big project- just looking around the house, and enjoying the process! :)

Simple and beautiful are just more doable these days and it just feels right!

Agreed.

So pretty and looking at the autumn decor is a good reminder that we’re tucked up warm inside when it’s cold out there.

Love the wire wrapped around the Cinderella and cream pumpkins. I already have the pumpkins heading into the storage building to find the wire. Ha!

Will add green hydrangeas from my patio to my fall decorating.

Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Lisa

Dried hydrangeas from my yard are my favorite decorating go-to this time of the year! Simple and beautiful – and cheap! :)
    ~Chris Ann

Melissa new to your site & it is amazing! Signed up for your 30-days posts & really enjoying your style & what you share. Thanks for being a valuable blog resource.

Thank you Elaine!

Love the gourd vases…may just have to try and pull that off for a little Thanksgiving tablescaping. Think they’ll dry in time?
    ~Kristin

Hi Melissa, I would love to see Holidays done in colors other than red or green….for December. I know most people use this, but it would be fun and different…just a thought.

Great idea! I will do that. :-) thanks for the idea!

Back when I lived in Michigan (I’m now moving to PA!!!!!) I had a Swedish neighbor who had her own style. One fall I was invited to a party where she had a big pitcher full of leaves, some with fruit still hanging on them in all the colors of fall. I was in love and have been inspired since to use the beauty of God’s creation for my fall decor. My heart skips a beat when I see a table or display like the one the BH & G photo. Love the colors!!!

hi Melissa, wow I’m having a wonderful time visiting so many new blogs and seeing so much creativity. I’m even taking notes, saving files, drooling…well trying not to drool but having a fit over some of the gorgeous blogs! Hahaha…this is so much fun. thanks once again for hostessing. I for one am trying to get as much out of this gathering as I can!
    blessings,
    Debbie

Beautiful photos. I love natural fall decorating, and am really into it here at my home this year. Thanks for the inspiration! Love the twine/grapevine with the pumpkins especially! Visiting from 31 Days.

I love using natural elements from the garden, too. Lots of pinecones at our house. I use them as mulch for potted plants too!