Coastal Living

After creating my own “northwest coastal” style winter front door decor, I decided to look online for some more beach inspired Christmas decor inspiration. Of course, I found some inspiring ideas over at Coastal Living!

While I have no intention of having a mermaid as a tree topper, it is an eye catching, whimsical and unique Christmas tree (above!). Theme trees can be so fun.

The rope on this stair railing makes a clever statement and hanger for the greenery and starfish. It is fun to think of unexpected items you can incorporate into your holiday decorating.

The bedside branches and ornaments are a simple but lovely touch of festiveness next to the glass lamp.

The pops of red are striking: the wreath hanging in the window, the ball ornaments suspended from the chandelier and the red towels or cloths hanging on the back of the chairs! And of course, the centerpiece is very pretty too!

These little trees remind me of gumdrop trees, but they are actually made out of dyed shells!

I guess I am not the only one sticking starfish and shells on my front door greenery! I love seeing the starfish in contrast with the green leaves.

You can find DIY instructions for many of these projects and MORE at Coastal Living

Those decorations are great! We don’t live my the ocean, but it would be cool if we did. I do however, have different themes for my trees, and I’m looking forward to sharing them in the upcoming weeks.
    I’m new to your blog in the last couple weeks, and a new subscriber. I love, love, love your blog!
    Thanks for all your hard work!
    ~Liz
    .-= Liz@HoosierHomemade´s last blog ..Friday Favorites~Thanksgiving Leftovers =-.

Melissa,
    I hope you’re having a wonderful Thanksgiving! I just recieved this same copy of Costal Living, and can’t wait to curl up with it.
    Cathy

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing:)

Beautiful! I saw a evergreen wreath with starfish all around it in the December issue of Coastal Style. It was really gorgeous.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    .-= living with lindsay´s last blog ..Testing the (Paint Color) Waters =-.

Wow! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures! My favorite getaway spot is anywhere with water and sun, so to see these decorating ideas makes me feel like I’m back at the beach. Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Love,
    Nif
    .-= Nif´s last blog ..Thankful Thanksgiving 2009 =-.

Hi Melissa,

I’m just loving these Coastal Living images. I’m pretty sure we can’t get it in Australia..sob, sob… Thanks for sharing the joy this Friday. Hope you’re having a marvellous Thanksgiving. Meredith xo.
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..loving this week…. =-.

I’m crazy about these pictures, thanks so much for sharing.!
    .-= Janis´s last blog ..Festive Friday =-.

I love this unusual Christmas decor, it’s so interesting and refreshing to see something totally different. We’re having a relatively frugal Christmas this year and using our existing decoration, although I’m trying to create some different things from what I have such as a bauble wreath. There’s so many great ideas on all these blogs it’s going to take me a while to get round them, so many great ideas!
    Jade
    .-= Jade @ No Longer 25´s last blog ..Gearing up for Christmas =-.

Some year I would like to decorate our holiday cottage near the sea with a coastal christmas theme, but as we never spend Christmas there I suppose there is no point! So instead I will just be inspired by you and dream about it :)

I love the staircase with the rope and evergreens. So different, yet so Christmas. Love it!!
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Happy Thanksgiving. =-.

love the rope and greenery, wondering if anyone knows where to find rope that thick?

Very pretty ideas! I love the rope on the banister with the seashells.
    .-= Gina´s last blog ..An Encounter =-.

Hi Melissa,
    I love the bedside table. I’d really like to change out our bedroom lamps with the pretty glass ones. Thanks for the linkup this week!
    .-= Carolyn´s last blog ..Today and Every Day =-.

Thanks for hosting and giving us all these great holiday decorating ideas. I’m excited to get inspired by other blogs and all the great ideas out there.

I love those pictures! And I love going to the beach. But for some reason I feel like there’s a “rule” that one (me) would need to actually live by water to decorate beachy. I would feel okay putting a few beachy accents in a bathroom; close enough to water, I guess. Yeah, I’ve got some weird “rules”.
    .-= Holly´s last blog ..Etsy and Thrifty Gifty #4—Framed Artwork =-.

What fun ideas!! Love the rope on the banister.
    .-= gina´s last blog ..soft and pretty. =-.

I love it! I especially love the wreath in the window though – in order to make the most of our lovely big Victorian windows, we don’t use curtains, so a wreath would make a lovely simple statement AND it wouldn’t have to compete with anything. Thank you for the idea!
    .-= Passementerie´s last blog ..Do you remember this? =-.

Fun ideas! I haven’t started doing any decorating, but my star tree topper came in the mail just before we left for Thanksgiving so I’m ready to start now that we’re home! This is the first year we’ll have a full-size tree! So excited!
    .-= Abbie´s last blog ..Thankful for … =-.

What a wonderful post. If I lived near the sea I think I would have to include some of those seashore things into my decor. As it is, I have spraypainted gold and silver shells with ribbon hangers for my formal tree in my living room… it has entirely gold, silver, crystal and white decor. I did the same thing with some pinecones. So, I have the best of the woods and the beach. :) Hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Christi
    .-= Christi from Charm & Grace´s last blog ..On Thanksgiving… (in paraphrase) =-.

I so wish I lived on the beach. Maybe a small beach cottage in Malibu or a beach house in North Carolina. For now I’ll just enjoy your pictures and dream of eating my cupcakes and chai latte’s on my front porch as I listen to the waves crash upon the rocks.

Back to reality now :)
    .-= Melody @ Party Cupcake Ideas´s last blog ..Happy Thanksgiving: Fall Leaf Cupcakes =-.

Love the photos. I am all about the Coastal Christmas look. I love it!!

Love the mermaid, can you share where she came from?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Easy DIY Christmas Decorating Idea: Glittery Epsom Salt Snow - [...] Don’t forget every Friday through December, The Inspired Room hosts a Holiday Linky Party! Link up those Christmas posts…
  2. Creative Christmas Trees & Stands - [...] This room from Coastal Living also has a tree in a white bucket with a handle. I always put…