31 Days of Autumn Bliss {Day 24}: <br>Sunday Drive By

by | Oct 23, 2010 | 31 Days of Autumn Bliss, drive bys, exteriors, Seasonal Decorating & Entertaining | 17 comments

Time for another Autumn Sunday drive by!

Because I love “fairy tale houses,” I so enjoy finding houses that are not the cookie cutter variety.

This house is up on Queen Anne Hill in Seattle and has the most glorious view of the city.

This house was so unique, right down to the chess pieces in the yard!

I love getting close up and seeing the details. Notice the lanterns by the door, the iron work above the door, the details above the windows and below the window sills!

I wonder if they saw me lurking outside and shut their shutters. I promise I was out on the sidewalk and not in their yard.

As you look up to this window, you can see a stain glass skylight! I love that the windows are arched.

It is just a really unique looking house! I would love to see the inside of it!

I feel like someone might throw their hair down from that balcony at any moment.

Even the street in front of this house is a little fairy-tale-ish.

Do you have any fairy tale houses where you live?

Thanks for joining me on my little drive by!
For the entire series links, click the 31 Days Button below!

Find the rest of the 31 Day girls here.

Although this house is castle-like and you are a whole coast away, those lanterns look similar to the “onion” style lighting popular in traditional colonial homes here on Cape Cod. Enjoy all the homes featured in your “drives” and would love to visit the Pacific Northwest soon…. Will be sad to see the end of this month’s posts here but looking foward to the holiday goodies!

Gorgeous. And now that I’ve been to Seattle, I feel like I can actually envision it!

Gorgeous! Those chess pieces got to me. The whole place has such a great personality. Maybe we could just go knock on the door and ask for the tour. I have actually had people do that to me. They’ve seen me outside and stopped to ask if they could see inside of the house. I have never let them in, but I invite them to sit on the porch and talk. OK, I’ve gotten off track…sorry. :) Lisa~

Enchanting! franki

Beautiful! I love this house! You are right – the arches are beautiful and I can just see a scene from Romeo and Juliet played out on that balcony! Love it!

Stunning! They just don’t build them like that anymore, do they? I was intrigued by the “chess pieces” and on closer inspection, they look like old clay chimney pots. What a charming use for old architectural bits.

LOVE it – wouldn’t the history of the house be interesting ?

As soon as I saw the opening photo, I said, “Queen Anne”! That house is unforgettable! I love Queen Anne and wouldn’t mind living there, right?!

That stained glass skylight is amazing. The stone arch surrounding the gorgeous wood door is truly a grand entry! I will have to keep my eye out for a fairy tale house around here!

The house – a paradise and I really like!!!

It makes me long for that Mansion in the Sky!
    Except I think That one will be much more approachable. And no closed shutters!;)

Has anyone noticed how so many of the ‘stately’ homes seem to be ‘guarded’ by hedges or closed window coverings? How sad that something so beautiful must be so closely ‘guarded’.

Perhaps that is why I prefer cottages or craftsman styled homes. They seem to most often be approachable and friendly, warm and inviting. Rather than ‘elaborate over-the-top strongholds’, they seem more like ‘humble safe havens’. Ahhhh…

lots of great houses here….

My hubby designs homes for a living. He often works with those with unlimited budgets. A few times a year he takes us for a drive to show his boys his work.

Those homes are magical to me, because I know the person I love most in this world had a hand in them.

Wow that’s a beautiful house!

There are quite a few nice gems in our area. Granted their not ‘Fairy Tale’ quality, they have their own charm. One house in particular is a ‘true’ Southern house, right down the road from us. It has a large front porch and it has the same exact size/style porch on the back. Might sound strange, but it’s different and looks very charming :)

Simply beautiful. The chess pieces seem like the perfect bit of whimsy for it. Looking at your “home tours” makes me miss the Seattle area even more!

Oh that house is beautiful to me, I just wish they didn’t feel the need to have hedges to HIDE it! I would be so proud of it I wouldn’t want a thing in front of it to block the view:) I adore the arched windows too and all the detail. SO pretty. Please don’t stop your drive bys!!!! XO, Pinky