The Magic of Christmas + Gingerbread Houses

by | Dec 12, 2019 | Bedrooms, Christmas, Christmas Decorating, Decorating Inspiration | 9 comments

The Magic of Christmas + Gingerbread Houses
By Abigail and Mary of Old World Market / Instagram

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! This is the first time in several years that I haven’t had a big book deadline over the holidays. I’m really enjoying slowing down a bit and having time to do more of the things that make this season feel extra magical.

One thing that’s happening? A gingerbread house making night!

How beautiful is that gingerbread house above? My friend Rebekah from Old World Market posted it on Instagram (her sisters made it!) and it stopped me right in my scroll. I’m quite confident mine will look nowhere near as glorious as that one, but I can dream! ;)

A few more Christmas activities on our list:

• Going to a Christmas Eve church service with our whole family. Plus we are hosting extended family this year!
  • Driving around our favorite neighborhoods, admiring houses decked out in Christmas lights
  • Sipping hot cider and watching Father of the Bride (not a Christmas movie, but it’s a family favorite this time of year!)

What is one magical thing you’re excited to experience this Christmas season?

1. Bonnie Stoltzfoos

What a great list! I love Father of the bride! We just brought an old upright piano into our house and my husband has been learning o holy night for me (my favorite Christmas song!). That’s been pretty magical and so special to hear playing in the house.

2. Seana Turner

That really is one of the most charming gingerbread houses I’ve ever seen. It is simple, but putting it on that piece of wood really makes it pop. Now I’m thinking that might be a fun activity when my (adult) kids comes home. The simple activities are often the best!

3. Elle

Cute! But I am confused—email subject line said “New hallway art and home style Saturdays” and I am interested to see the hallway art…???

• susan maclean

Ellie! that was a previous post……

• Melissa @ The Inspired Room

Oh no! Let me look to see what happened! That was a previous post, Must be a glitch with the email. I’m so sorry for the confusion!

4. Carol Karl

That’s a really unique gingerbread house – I love it.

5. Angela

Christmas has been lost in the busyness of life the last few years. So… this year our Advent calendar is full of activities, not things. Each day is a dufferent Christmas activity like making paper snowflakes, reading a Christmas book, watching a movie and the 23rd will be making a Gingerbread House. It’s helped us be more intentional in celebrating the holiday as a family. It’s kind of an Advent/Accountability calendar!

• Kat Coyle

Angela, what a great idea I think we will do this next year.

6. Kat Coyle

That is a very cute gingerbread house, we usually make a gingerbread house but they’re never a cute as that one. This year my two adult sons and there girlfriends, my youngest who is still at home, my husband and I are watching The Christmas Carol, as they are all growing up and moving on with their own lives I feel it’s important to start a new tradition to help keep us all together. Happy Holidays to you all.