Fall is almost here, are you ready to set up a cozy fall corner? Some people put pumpkins on the mantel to usher in fall…I rearrange furniture. Whatever inspires you is the right choice! There are no rules. But I do have a suggestion!
2020 has obviously thrown a lot at us through spring and summer. It feels like it just keeps coming, doesn’t it? So many stressful situations. Whatever changes and decisions you’ve had to make, or have yet to make, whatever new normal you are trying to process or navigate, you’re doing the best you can! That’s all we can do. Give yourself grace, lady. It’s hard, but many changes can lead to beautiful things, too.
I’m so reluctant to say goodbye to being outside enjoying the sunshine every day, but I am eager to create a nurturing home base for our family to navigate the fall season together.
One thing that always inspires me is setting up a cozy corner where I can start the day with peace, quiet and intention. It’s basically a self-care corner! One of my very first posts thirteen years ago was about my pink chair in my English Tudor bedroom. I used to escape to that chair for a quiet moment to myself when my kids were small. I haven’t outgrown my need for peace, quiet and self-care! Even though my kids are big now :).
I took the first step towards fall this week by doing a little furniture arranging so I’d have a spot to head to on fall mornings. I’ll share how I use it during our annual fall nesting series (which starts September 1). Along with all of the fun seasonal decorating ideas, we’ll be talking about how to use our self-care corners and daily routines throughout fall!
To kick off Fall Nesting, I thought you might want to create your own cozy self-care corner, too! (And if you do, I’d love to see it!). Scroll below for all the sources and details!
How to Create Your Cozy Self-Care Corner
- Pick your coziest chair, whatever is comfortable to you. I rearranged my living room and furniture I already had so my favorite chair is by the fireplace! Put your chair in a relatively quiet spot (a place that will be quiet in the morning!) or wherever you’ll feel most inspired to use it.
- Find a favorite fall mug or two. Y’all know I love my morning coffee rituals! I don’t like to just chug coffee on the run. I love to savor it. We’ll talk about why it matters, but I’m sure you’ll want a special mug to use for your own morning routines! I’ll share some some fall tea and coffee routines and recipes that will be inspiring and nurturing. I got this Fall Feels mug recently, and I have more faves rounded up here.
- Look for a little stool or table to set near your chair. I keep little stools (like this or this) in my living room because they are so handy for holding a journal, book or mug.
- Curl up with a throw blanket. I mean, is it even fall if you don’t have a cozy blanket? As hard as it is to imagine, it will eventually be chilly in the morning. At least where I live! And if it’s warm until Christmas, you can always use it on the back of your chair to add texture. That’s one of the most important elements in decorating for fall anyway! (Find my favorite cozy blankets here!)
- You’ll want a journal and a notebook (and I love these fun pens!). Do you have a Dwelling Well Journal? If not, you’ll be happy to have one of your own this fall! We’ll be talking about how to use it as a part of your daily rituals. A notebook will be handy, too. We’ll talk about things to write down, keep track of and how to stay inspired.
- Have a fresh pretty plant near your cozy corner. You can set it on a coffee table nearby. It will make you happy, even when you don’t have as many fresh flowers in the house.
- Set up a quality diffuser and pure plant oils near your corner. If you’ve been putting this off or are ready to get back to oils, now’s the time to do it! You’ll use it every day for your well-being. I have an oils set I recommend called the Welcome Home Kit. You don’t want to go into fall without oils, you’ll be so glad you have them for all of the things. I use oils for all of my daily routines and inspiring seasonal rhythms, I can’t imagine a day without them! I have Hashimoto’s and use them not only for my own health but for establishing good household and wellness habits, uplifting emotions and our family’s immune support. They are perfect for all the cozy fall things too like your favorite candle dupes and linen sprays.
Order your Welcome Home kit and toxin-free products I recommend here (and get a free gold diffuser from me or a discount for a limited time!). When you get your oils with my link you also get into my community education group, and have access to my text classes and personal support!
Join us as we start Fall Nesting September 1!
Social media scrolling can be rough these days on so many levels. I avoid it as much as possible to protect my stress levels and well-being. What if instead we meet right here on the blog in the morning? It’s not too loud or stressful here. We’ll sit in our own cozy corners together, with our cup of coffee in hand? We can talk about all of the fall nesting things and finding joy as home bodies. I’d love that. Want to join me?
Self Care Corner Sources:
+ + + + +
Fall Nesting 2020:
Four Essential Homemaking Practices