Black Hardware: Kitchen Cabinet Ideas

by | Jun 20, 2016 | Best of the Best Kitchen Ideas, Decorating Inspiration, Kitchens | 13 comments

Black hardware cabinets

Workbook by Westbrook

One of the many decisions that you face when you are planning a kitchen design is selecting cabinet hardware. While there seems to be a lot of brass or gold hardware being used lately, black hardware remains a steady classic. Matte black finishes in general are really popular, and fortunately metal hardware and finishes are never really in or out. I would say they are all in depending on what works best for your style of kitchen and home.

One look I personally really love is white cabinets with black hardware. Black hardware feels so unpretentious, classic and homey to me. I put black iron knobs and pulls in my English Tudor and I’ve really missed them, so don’t be surprised if black hardware shows up in my new kitchen!

For inspiration today I’ve featured some great kitchens with black hardware and near the end of the post, you’ll find a round up of some black hardware sources if you are looking for some pretty options!

Enjoy!

House Beautiful

Theme Builder LayoutKinfolk Home (These pulls look like the ones I had in my previous kitchen but in oil rubbed bronze, the Duluth Pulls from Restoration Hardware!)

Brooke Wagner Design

BHG

Theme Builder LayoutLonny

Theme Builder LayoutAmber Interiors / Photo by Tessa Neustadt

Theme Builder LayoutAtlanta Homes – Jamie McPherson – Photo by Erica George Dines

Theme Builder LayoutBHG

Welch Forsman Associates / Architecture: Laurel Ulland

Update 2019: Come see my finished kitchen makeover (with black hardware) here!

Update 2019: Come see my finished kitchen makeover (with black hardware) here!

Hardware sources: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8

See more posts in this kitchen inspiration series:

Mug Racks & Kitchen Coffee Stations // Kitchen Open Shelving // Farmhouse Sinks

My 3 latest kitchen guides on eBay:

6 Ways to Make Your Kitchen Feel Bigger // 10 Clever Kitchen Space Savers // 4 Budget-Friendly Tips for an Organized Kitchen

Actually I love the look of black hardware on white cabinets.
    My husband spray painted all the nobs for our bedroom furniture and I painted the furniture using Annie Sloan “Old White” chalk paint – after the nobs were put back it made the furniture look so elegant.

Have a great day
    Rose

I’m loving your kitchen series, since I’m re-doing my kitchen. Great ideas.

Every room must have some black in it!

I also LOVE black hardware. Thanks for sharing the sources!

This is timely for me because I am painting my kitchen cabinets white! I already planned to use pulls for the draws and I am liking the look of the black.

Love being inspired!

I like the black hardware and was loving #7–but $45 for one pull?!!

There’s a big difference sometimes in the quality of pulls! But yeah it’s definitely more spendy!

Several years ago when we redid our kitchen, black hardware (found by my daughter at IKEA) was the perfect finishing touch. It’s still one of my favorite things in my kitchen. A few years later, my daughter put Ikea’s then-current version of that hardware in her own kitchen!

Love the look. Haven’t gone black myself. Maybe I the future! Was once told finishes can wear off. Yah or nah?
    Also, let’s hear for trimless drawers ~ and the dust and dirt that never settles in its nicks and crannies! ☆☆☆

Lovely designs, it looked really elegant :)

Hi Melissa. I love black hardware with white cupboards and have done that in my kitchen. I wanted to ask you if you would use black hardware with dark grey cabinets? I’m about to paint my parents kitchen cabs dark grey on the bottom and white on top (like your previous kitchen :) and do not want to use stainless steel, white or wooden hardware, so that leaves me with black or brass. I’m not keen on brass, so what do you think? Would black work? Do you recall any references you’ve seen with dark hardware on dark cabinets?
    LOVE your website and look forward to seeing what decisions you make for your new kitchen :).
    Thanks!

Having the “black vs gold” hardware dilemma. This really helps. I love your book, by the way! I’m reading it & this post simultaneously! Thanks

What you you think about black hardware on chocolate cherry stained maple cabinets. Looking for a more rustic look.